“If it’s so beautifully arranged on the plate – you know someone’s fingers have been all over it.”
The use of the colorful bell pepper makes this a versatile, flavorful meal. It’s sure to please!
- 6 large bell peppers (various colors), tops cut off, seeded
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded cheese, such as mozzarella or cheddar
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Fill the dish with 1/2 inch of water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain the water and transfer the peppers to another dish.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a spoon, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and rice; increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is softened but still moist, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the rice absorbs the remaining liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Stir basil and half the cheese into the rice mixture. Divide the filling among the peppers, then top with the remaining cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
JKMRecipe Reference eatingwell.com