“But I was a pure romantic, and only operating with half my burners turned on.”
Ingredients- 2 dozen cookies
- 3/4 cups butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground blanched almonds or hazelnuts
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 ounces raspberry jam, or other red preserve
- Powdered sugar
- Cream butter in using a mixture in a large bowl. Add sugar and continue creaming. Add the egg, lemon, and vanilla and mix. Mix in the ground nuts.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a bowl and add to mixer and blend. Form the dough into disks, wrap and chill.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper to 1/8-inch thickness. Put rolled dough (still between parchment paper) in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to firm up before cutting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut out the base cookie shapes. Cut out the centers of half the disks with a smaller cookie cutter shape. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges turn golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Heat the jam or jelly and spread the solid disks with a layer of the hot preserves. Place the top layer cookie over the bottom, pressing down lightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, then fill the holes with more preserves. Let set slightly before serving.
JKMRecipe Reference shine.yahoo.com