“The only thing that will make a Soufflé fall is if it knows you are afraid of it”
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus softened butter for ramekins
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Aged Cheddar
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- Butter four (6-ounce) ramekins with softened butter and coat with breadcrumbs. Place in freezer to chill.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until lightly golden, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk, until blended.
- Whisk in cheddar until melted and combined. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to lukewarm
- Add egg yolks, salt and pepper to cheese mixture and whisk until combined
- Place egg whites and lime juice in a separate clean bowl and beat with an electric mixture until soft peaks form.
- Carefully fold egg white mixture into cheese mixture a third at a time. Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.
- Place ramekins in a roasting pan. Gently pour soufflé mixture into each ramekin and smooth tops with a spatula. Pour boiling water into pan until halfway up sides of ramekin
- Bake soufflés on bottom rack of oven about 18-20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown on top.
Recipe Reference wholefoods.com