“Cooking requires confident guesswork and improvisation– experimentation and substitution, dealing with failure and uncertainty in a creative way”
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth, pull out the stems and discard them.
- Toss the cleaned de-stemmed mushrooms with 2 tbsp of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Spread out mushrooms face up on a ungreased backing sheet. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Set aside and cool, discard any oil from the center of the mushrooms.
- Slit the Italian sausage and remove casing. Crumble in a heated pan and saute until golden brown. Break up into small pieces while it is cooking. Set aside and cool.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in a saute pan and add the onions. Cook until dark and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Then add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Combine cooked sausage, onions and garlic, cream cheese, salt & pepper, and 1 cup of shredded Asiago cheese in a bowl and mix well with your hands. Break apart any large pieces of sausage.
- Line up your mushrooms on an ungreased baking sheet with the core side facing up. Stuff each mushroom with a generous portion of the creamy sausage mixture. Top the mushrooms with the remaining Asiago cheese.
- Cook in pre-heated oven for roughly 20-25 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden brown.
JKMRecipe Reference food52.com