“Food is art and magic; it evokes emotion and colors memory, and in skilled hands, meals become greater than the sum of their ingredients.”
- 1 cup unsalted roasted shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Italian cheeses, plus more for serving (use a 3 cheese blend of Parmesan, Asiago and Romano)
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups orecchiette
- In a food processor (or blender) chop the pistachios. Add the olive oil, basil and garlic and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the 1/2 cup of cheese; season with salt.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Add the cooking water and the pesto and cook over low heat, tossing, until coated.
- Serve with additional cheese and green onions.