“We butcher, grind, chop, grate, mince, and liquefy raw ingredients, breaking down formerly living things so that we might recombine them in new, more cultivated forms”
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Pita bread rounds
- Fresh spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers and any other condiments you desire
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, the 2 tablespoons milk, the onion, garlic, salt, oregano, and lemon-pepper seasoning. Add ground beef; mix well using hands. Shape mixture into eight 1/4-inch-thick patties.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine feta cheese and the 1 tablespoon milk. Divide filling among four of the patties. Top with the remaining patties; press edges to seal.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle mixture over patties.
- Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above and grill for 12 to 16 minutes or until done, flipping once.
- To serve, cut pita bread rounds in half crosswise. Serve burgers in pita halves with spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers.